Did you know that the ancient Vedas referred to Neem as ‘Sarvaroganivarini’, which roughly translates to ‘one that prevents all ailments’! Neem has numerous medicinal benefitsand can be used to heal and treat a variety of disorders. Let’s understand a little more about this miraculous plant and how it can help us.
The Powerful Medicinal Benefits of Neem
Neem: Significance and Uses
The Neem tree (scientific name: Azadirachtaindica) belongs to the mahogany family of trees and is native to the Indian subcontinent but is now also cultivated in other tropical parts of the world.From its leaves to its seeds, bark, branches and roots, every part of the Neem tree has powerful medicinal and healing properties. Neem oil that is extracted from the neem seeds is also used as an ingredient in a number of beauty products. Here are some of the top medicinal benefits of Neem.
1. Neem leaves have powerful antifungal and antibacterial properties that help fight all kinds of infections. Hence it is commonly used in treating acne and skin and scalp infections. Neem leaves or neem leaf powder is also used to cure chicken pox and heal the scarred skin.
2. Neem is a purifying agent. It helps detoxify your system by purifying blood and eliminating toxins from within to maintain good health and is thus a great immunity-booster.
3. Neem aids in maintaining good gastric health. It has been known to be helpful in the treatment of gastric ulcers and other intestinal problems. In India, it is common to chew neem leaves on a daily basis to improve and strengthen digestion.
4. Neem plays an important role in oral health and many oral health products are formulated with neem as a key ingredient. Traditionally, chewing on neem branches is known to strengthen one’s gums, clear plaque, fight bad breath and reduce any inflammation.
5. With its antioxidant and antibacterial properties, neem is also used in fighting dandruff and strengthening your hair.
6. Neem oil is packed with essential fatty acids and vitamins that moisturize skin and maintain skin elasticity, thus giving one a more youthful appearance.
7. Its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties are helpful in the treatment and healing of wounds and scars.
8. In Ayurveda, Neem is also an important component in medicines used to treat malaria.
9. According to certain research, Neem can also play a part in the prevention and treatment of chronic diseases, including cancer.
10. Neem leaves are also said to help control diabetes by maintaining and reducing blood sugar levels.
*Studies have shown that Neem can act as a natural contraceptive, and hence is not advisable to use before or during pregnancy.
Isn’t Neem an amazing and powerful ingredient? Do you know any other medicinal benefits of Neem? Share your own tips below.